Now in its 12th year, the National Fly Rod Building Competition is focused on expanding the therapeutic experience for disabled veterans participating in PHWFF programs by giving them the experience of building their own fly rods to further their physical and mental rehabilitation through the sport of fly fishing. The program also has a fun competition component which gives participants the chance to win prizes for their rod building abilities.
The first of three (3) Public Voting Rounds in the 12th Annual PHWFF Fly Rod Building Competition began on November 9, 2020 and the final round will conclude on December 16, 2020. During this time period three (3) separate public judging rounds will take place for Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced Categories (full schedule is below) and you can cast your vote and celebrate the tremendous fly rod building talents of our PHWFF veteran participants.
- November 9 – 18: Public judging is now closed for Category 1 Beginner Fly Rods.
- November 23 – December 2: Public judging is now closed for the Category 2 Intermediate Fly Rods.
- December 7 – 16: Public judging is now closed for the Category 3 Advanced Fly Rods.
Are you looking for more answers about the competition and casting your vote? Look no further! We’ve outlined all you need to know below.
What is the PHWFF Fly Rod Building Competition? The Project Healing Waters Fly Rod Building Competition is an annual program focused on expanding the therapeutic experience for PHWFF disabled veterans participants by giving them the opportunity to showcase their fly rod building skills and creativity in a fun contest. The competition features two rounds of judging: a public round and a finals round. Only individuals who meet the definitions of a registered PHWFF participant were eligible to enter fly rods in the competition.
When can I vote? The first of 3 Public Voting Rounds of the 12th Annual PHWFF Fly Rod Building Competition opens on November 9 and runs until December 16, 2020. During this time period three separate public judging rounds will take place for Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced Categories
- November 9 – 18: Public judging for the Category 1 Beginner Fly Rods
- November 23 – December 2: Public judging for the Category 2 Intermediate Fly Rods
- December 7 – 16: Public judging for the Category 3 Advanced Fly Rods
Where do I vote? Voting is open to the public at https://www.judgify.me/public-voting/phwffflyrodbuilding2020
You can also access the voting portal via www.projecthealingwaters.org and Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram from November 9 – December 16, 2020. (Just click the icons below to get connected)
Who can vote? Anyone! Voting is open to the public at https://www.judgify.me/public-voting/phwffflyrodbuilding2020
We encourage you to share your favorite rods with your friends and family online. Sharing the competition and rallying others to vote is a great way to celebrate the tremendous talents of PHWFF veteran participants and to raise awareness of PHWFF programs.
How do I vote? It’s easy! Just visit https://www.judgify.me/public-voting/phwffflyrodbuilding2020, login to the Judging platform, and click “Vote.” You have one (1) vote per category but you can rally your friends, family and colleagues to vote by sharing your selections on social media or by email.
How many times can I vote? You can vote one (1) time per category. Just click “Vote” beneath the entry.
What criteria should I use when voting? Each entry has an abundance of information for you to enjoy. Just click on an entry to view photos, participant information, and details about the fly rod. You can use the following criteria to help guide your votes:
- The Fly Rod: Rate the fly rod on style, creativity, functionality, and appearance
- The Story: How well is the fly rod and the building experience described?
How can I encourage others to vote? Just click the social share icons on the public voting page and let your networks know why it’s important to vote.
What happens after the public voting round? The top fly rods from each judging category will advance to the finals with an expert panel of judges who will determine 1st, 2nd & 3rd place in each category.
Why do I need to login to Judgify? This ensures a level-playing field during the public voting by limiting individuals to a single vote and serves to confirm that you are not a ‘Bot’ (an autonomous program on the internet or another network that can interact with systems or users).
All registered voter information is protected in-accordance with The General Data Protection Regulation and, in accordance with PHWFF policies, will not be sold or transferred to 3rd parties.
When are finalists announced? The finalists will be announced at the conclusion of the public judging round for each category (dates are listed below). The announcements will be made at www.projecthealingwaters.org and on official Project Healing Waters social media accounts (click the icons below to get connected)
- November 19, 2020: Finalists announced for Category 1 Beginner Fly Rods
- December 3, 2020: Finalists announced for Category 2 Intermediate Fly Rods
- December 17, 2020: Finalists announced for Category 3 Advanced Fly Rods
- David Lipscomb Recognized for Extraordinary Leadership
- D. Brent Miller recognized with Exceptional Leadership Award
- May is National Military Appreciation Month
- Jim O’Brien Recognized with Phil Johnson Exceptional Leadership Award
- Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing Begins Multiple Participant Outdoor Healing Gatherings