During the recent Fly Fishers International Fair in Bozeman, Montana long-time supporter and volunteer Bob Frey was recognized for his extraordinary contributions to our cause and the veterans we serve by being recognized with our most prestigious award: The Patriot Award.
Patriot Award Citation
3 August, 2017
PROJECT HEALING WATERS FLY FISHING, INC (PHWFF) takes great pleasure in presenting the Patriot Award to Bob Frey, for sustained extraordinary service from 2010 to the present. As a resident of Bozeman, Montana, and a West Point Graduate, Bob became acquainted with PHWFF while he was volunteering with another local Veterans non-profit. Impressed with PHWFF’s mission and our programmatic approach to the healing and rehabilitation of our participants, he volunteered to organize and host PHWFF outings in Montana. Since then, Bob has applied his considerable skills as a former guide, his organizational acumen and, most importantly, his dedication and passion, to help his country’s most deserving citizens heal on the beautiful and storied rivers in Montana. What makes his contributions to PHWFF even more impressive is that he has accomplished this all on his own. He arranged for guides, accommodations and, when necessary, the required funding to support these fishing events. A partial listing of the 31 fly fishing outings Bob has spearheaded over the years follows –
- Bob’s first work with PHWFF involved taking several participants fishing for two days during the International Federation of Fly Fishing (IFFF) Conclave, in August 2010. This proved a very successful experience, and he continued to expand on that model in the following years.
- In 2011, there were four events – two were in Bozeman, one on the Bighorn River, and another in Paradise Valley hosted by Evind and Judith Forseth.
- Five fishing outings took place in 2012 – a wade fishing event in Bozeman, one on the Bighorn River, one on Slough Creek in Yellowstone Park, backcountry camping in Yellowstone, and Paradise Valley again hosted by the Forseths.
- 2013 included four events – starting with a wade fishing trip in Bozeman, another Bighorn River outing, and two outings at the Forseth’s Paradise Valley home.
- The following year, there were five fishing outings. Again there was wade fishing in Bozeman, two trips to the Bighorn River, a Missouri River trip, and Paradise Valley.
- In 2015, there was a wade fishing trip to Bozeman, three Bighorn River outings, and a Missouri River trip.
- 2016 started with a wade fishing trip based in Bozeman, followed by a Madison River event, the Bighorn River again, and the Missouri River.
- This year there will be four outings – Bozeman, Madison River, and two Bighorn River trips.
Bob graciously acknowledges that none of these fishing outings would have been possible without the generous donations or heavily discounted rates for lodging, meals, guiding, transportation, and equipment, along with access to multiple quality private waters or private ponds. These donations and discounts came from many individuals and businesses. Notwithstanding the support he has arranged, without Bob, nothing would have happened.
It is with great pleasure and deep appreciation that the Board of Trustees of Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing, Inc., is proud to bestow on Bob Frey the Patriot Award for tireless and extraordinary service to Project Healing Waters and to those wounded warriors and disabled veterans whom this organization serves.