Announcements & Press
Dispatches from Atz Kilcher
In The News
PHW Spotlight
Press Releases
By Location
Georgia-South Carolina
National Capital
New England
New Jersey
New York-New Jersey
Northern New York
Rocky Mountain Northeast
Rocky Mountain Northwest
Rocky Mountain South
South Central
Southern New York
The Heartland
West Virginia
By Event
2018 2-Fly
Broadmoor Invitational
Freedom Ranch for Heroes
Healing Saturday
Hike to Heal Veterans
Holy Waters
Mossy Creek Invitational
Phil Johnson Exceptional Leadership Award

Mark your calendars and set your DVRs!  Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing and Kyle Chanitz will be featured on The Seahunter this week on The Outdoors Channel!  You can see some great photos and video sneak peek from this special episode below.

The show will air on The Outdoors Channel this upcoming week at the following times:

Saturday at 10:30AM
Sunday at 7:30AM

(Be sure to check your local listings for regional airtimes or visit www.outdoorchannel.com/show/the-seahunter)

About the Show:

Captain Rob Fordyce of the Voo-Doo Daddy takes us saltwater fishing in unique and beautiful destinations as he teaches us light tackle fishing techniques inshore and offshore.

Captain Rob Fordyce, has been a professional guide/TV host/athlete for the last 27 years. Nominated in 2014, as one of the top “50” fishing captains in the world, Rob has competed and placed as a top three finisher, in more than a 100 tournaments fished around the globe. Rob has also produced, hosted, or co-hosted more than 100 outdoor television episodes. Considered a master guide for fly fishing giant Tarpon, Rob was the first guide in history to win all four major Tarpon fly tournaments, in the over fifty year history they carry. At the age of 17, Rob won the prestigious “Met Master Angler” award, making him the youngest man decorated for this award in the tournament’s 62 year history. Fordyce also plays an advisory role and consultant for Yeti Coolers, TFO Rods, Seahunter Boats, Maverick Boats, Raymarine,Fin-nor/Quantum and Under Armour.

About Kyle Chantiz, U.S. Army (ret)

In his own words: “I grew up an hour from NYC in an Italian neighborhood called Endwell, NY.  I was in the 9th grade when 9/11 happened, and it was then I knew that I would fight for my country.  On May 26h, 2006 I enlisted into the US Army. I was sent to infantry school and then airborne school at Fort Benning, Georgia.  My first duty assignment was the 82nd Airborne in Fayetteville, NC. I went back to Fort Benning and on September 27, 2007, graduated from the Army’s Sniper Course.   My first deployment to Afghanistan was in January, 2008 where I encountered IED blasts and firefights.  I witnessed my first combat related deaths:  a Hungarian EOD technician was working on a landmine which was triple stacked, and the bottom two detonated as he decommissioned the top mine. An image that replays in my head, to this very day, every day.

In March, 2008, returned stateside for one month deploying again to Afghanistan in April, 2008.  Around June, 2008, my life changed forever.  Too many of my brothers had died or been maimed. I became cold and detached. I was given methylphenidate to stay awake and I took klonopin to control my shakiness that the methylphenidate caused. I soon was given opium from one of my Afghan army brothers, Three weeks after my first use of opium I was using it daily.  I returned stateside on December 31, 2008, still using narcotics heavily.

Eventually I was back in Afghanistan for my third tour. While at a small OP in Nangahar  province I lost too many brothers.  With only 46 days into the tour I suffered my second severe concussion, left eardrum was blown, I now suffer seizures and migraines. That was it for me, my tour stoped that day. Hey I was headed back to Bragg, where I spent my last 2 years in the Army training other soldiers that were going to be part of ETTs in Afghanistan.  I received an Honorable Discharge in May, 2012.  My life began to collapse entirely.

In August, 2014, I landed at the Salem VAMC, dried out for 2 weeks, then went into a 28 day substance abuse program.  After discharge, I am homeless, I have no money.  I went into Trust House, a halfway house which has 15 vets living there.  By January 1, 2015, I had been sober since I first checked into the VA in August.  In February I met Bob Crawshaw and Jake Blizzard of Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing.  My life now has something in it I can obsess over and be passionate about that is healthy.  My life revolves around fly tying and fly fishing. I have attended many PHWFF trips and events.  I am now giving back.  I now guide my fellow veterans and teach them fly tying.  Being able to feel that fellowship again is wonderful.  I no longer hate myself, for the first time in a long time, my life revolves around wanting to live free and healthy.  And, on October 7, 2017, I got married to the love of my life.  My future is bright indeed.”