Maxine and Glenn McCormick are in Long Beach for the ACA Southwestern Casting Tournament, February 16 & 17. They spent some time with Head Judge Mark Tsunawaki and Casting Competition Chair Carole Katz to discuss their participation in the Second Annual PHWFF Casting Competition.
Glenn is a World Championship Bronze Medalist in Trout Accuracy. He’s probably better known as the father of Maxine McCormick. At the age of 12 at the 2016 World Championships in Estonia, Maxine became the youngest adult division World Champion in sports history, outscoring every woman and MAN in Trout Accuracy. In 2018, at the World Championships in England, she earned two gold medals and one silver. Her score in Trout Accuracy was 21 points higher than the next closest woman. Her Salmon Distance 2-hand cast was 189 feet and Sea Trout Distance cast was a World Record 161 feet.
Glenn will be one of the PHWFF National Casting Competition judges on Friday. Both he and Maxine will be at the PHWFF casting venue all day Thursday and Friday morning. Maxine will demonstrate after lunch on Thursday and after our competition on Friday. Both will be available to answer questions or offer tips.
We are very pleased to announce other well-known judges:
- Larry Allen – PHWFF volunteer, MCI, recipient of Mel Krieger Fly Casting Instructor Award, winner of two golds, a silver and a bronze at the World Championships in the Veteran Men’s Division.
- Ted Bounds – PHWFF volunteer, CI and tournament caster.
- Bruce Richards – MCI, line designer for Scientific Anglers for more than 30 years, author of Modern Flylines, helped develop CICP, recipient of the Lifetime Achievement in Fly Casting Instructor Award, developer of electronic fly-casting analyzer.
- Molly Semenik – MCI, CBOG, author of 25 Best Off-the-Beaten Path Montana Fly Fishing Streams, Education Committee member who played a key role in development of the Learning Center.
- Mark Tsunawaki – Head Judge, PHWFF volunteer since 2007, ACA National Tournament Senior Division Champion.
Bring some of your participants to the FFI Expo in Bozeman this July so you can meet and learn from these extraordinary fishers, casters, educators. We are so fortunate to have their support.