Now in its 12th year, the National Fly Rod Building Competition is focused on expanding the therapeutic experience for disabled veterans participating in PHWFF programs by giving them the experience of building their own fly rods to further their physical and mental rehabilitation through the sport of fly fishing. The program also has a fun competition component which gives participants the chance to win prizes for their rod building abilities, skills and creativity in a fun contest.
We are pleased to announce the finalists for the Category 3: Advanced Fly Rods! Over 800 votes were cast during the Category 3 Public Judging Round, determining who moves on to the Finals Round. These finalists will now be judged by an expert panel who will determine 1st, 2nd & 3rd place for Advanced Fly Rods.
The winners will be announced on Monday, December 21, 2020 at www.projecthealingwaters.org
Meet the Finalists
Category 3: Advanced
The focus of the Advanced category is to design, order, and build a functional fly rod while displaying advanced techniques. This category is for participants who are building their 4th fly rod or more.
- Billy Dailey III, PHWFF Portland/Vancouver, WA
- Richard Sagran, PHWFF Montrose, CO
- Jack Warland, PHWFF Charleston, SC
- John Collins, PHWFF River City TN
- Bill Boyce, PHWFF Long Beach, CA
- Brian Suk, PHWFF Conroe, TX
- Marcos Rico, PHWFF Anchorage, AK
These top fly rods from Category 3: Advanced move on to the finals with an expert panel of judges who will determine 1st, 2nd & 3rd place . Winners of Category 3: Advanced will be announced on Monday, December 21, 2020 at www.projecthealingwaters.org
Fly Rod Building: A Life Saving Gift
“Fly rod building is very therapeutic for me, it is my release. It allows me to focus on something and allows me to be creative which I think is a key part of recovery and healing“
- David Lipscomb Recognized for Extraordinary Leadership
- D. Brent Miller recognized with Exceptional Leadership Award
- May is National Military Appreciation Month
- Jim O’Brien Recognized with Phil Johnson Exceptional Leadership Award
- Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing Begins Multiple Participant Outdoor Healing Gatherings