Now in its 8th year, the Project Healing Waters Fly Tying Competition is focused on expanding the therapeutic experience for PHWFF disabled veterans participants by giving them the opportunity to showcase their fly tying skills and creativity in a fun contest.
We are pleased to announce the finalists in the 8th Annual Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing National Fly Tying Competition! Over 1,800 votes were cast during the Public Judging Round, determining who moves on to the Finals Round to be judged by an expert panel who will determine 1st, 2nd & 3rd place in each category.
Winners will be announced on November 9, 2020 at www.projecthealingwaters.org
Meet the Finalists
Category 1: Beginner
This category is for participants new to fly tying with less than one year of fly tying experience.
- Adam McSparran: Fly Formerly Known as Prince | PHWFF Charleston, SC
- Charles Patrick Hawkins: Tellico Nymph | PHWFF Murfreesboro, TN
- Franklin Scaletti: Copper John variation | PHWFF Phoenix, AZ
- John Matthews: The Pazooka | PHWFF Portland/Vancouver
- Misty Ann Miller: Copper John | PHWFF Royersford PA
- Sgt. Joseph D Noe: OIF Stimulator | PHWFF Knoxville, TN
Category 2: Intermediate
This category is for participants with two to three years of fly tying experience.
- Darrell Olson: The Peacock River Nymph | PHWFF Charleston, SC
- James Boden: Uncle Sam | PHWFF Joint Base Lewis-McChord
- James Jordan: Never-Sink October Caddis/Hopper | PHWFF Togus, ME
- Jason Farrar: Hand Carved Balsa Popper | PHWFF Conroe, TX
- Jonathan Rice: Klinkhammer | PHWFF Harrisburg East, PA
- Mike Hulsey: Combat Wounded Coachman | PHWFF Knoxville, TN
Category 3: Advanced
This category is for participants with four or more years of fly tying experience.
- Bernard Gary King: Beadhead Prince Nymph | PHWFF Conroe TX
- Chris Koontz: Brown trout micro changer | PHWFF Winston-Salem, NC
- John Collins: Modified Wooly Bugger | PHWFF River City, TN
- John Rogers: TS Pheasant Tail | PHWFF Altoona, PA
- Steven Licata: Light Spruce | PHWFF Greater Kansas City, MO
- Steven Strable: Streamtease | PHWFF Roseburg – Umpqua, OR
Theses top flies from each judging category will now advance to the finals with an expert panel of judges who will determine 1st, 2nd & 3rd place in each category. The winners will be announced on November 9, 2020 at www.projecthealingwaters.org.
The PHWFF Fly Tying Competition has grown each year since it’s inception in 2012 and since that time we have been delighted and astounded to see the remarkable patterns and flies submitted from PHWFF programs across the country.
Join us in celebrating the tremendous talents of all those PHWFF participants who participated this year!
Fly Tying: A Life Saving Gift
“As a Disabled Veteran I have found that tying flies is therapy for me. It calms my nerves and brings me a sense of inner peace.“
- Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing Resumes Indoor Core Program Activities
- PHWFF Outings On the Rise Coast-to-Coast
- Quilt of Valor Presented to Tennessee Veterans
- PHWFF Tennessee Programs Join Up For First Outing
- PHWFF Omaha Kicks Off Their Annual Naran Tournament