Now in its 12th year, the National Fly Rod Building Competition is focused on expanding the therapeutic experience for disabled veterans participating in PHWFF programs by giving them the experience of building their own fly rods to further their physical and mental rehabilitation through the sport of fly fishing. The program also has a fun competition component which gives participants the chance to win prizes for their rod building abilities, skills and creativity in a fun contest.
The Fly Rod Building Competition features three (3) separate public judging rounds for Beginner (Category 1), Intermediate (Category 2), and Advanced (Category 3). We are pleased to announce the finalists for Category 1: Beginner! Over 600 votes were cast during the Category 1 Public Judging Round, determining who moves on to the Finals Round to be judged by an expert panel who will determine 1st, 2nd & 3rd place for Category 1: Beginners.
Meet the Finalists
Category 1: Beginner
The focus of this category is to create an understanding of what it takes to build a functional fly rod and is for participants who have never built a fly rod. Participants in this category have built either a 5 or 8 weight fly rod.
- William Law, PHWFF Long Beach, CA
- Lukus Weinle, PHWFF Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA
- Joshua Geforos, PHWFF Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA
- Jack Gershkowitz, PHWFF New Smyrna, FL
- Bernard Gary King, PHWFF Conroe, TX
- Stephen Huntley, PHWFF Greenville, NC
- Chris McKinney, PHWFF Winston-Salem, NC
- Daniel Randazzo, PHWFF Eglin AFB, FL
- Franklin Scaletti, PHWFF Phoenix, AZ
- Isaac Watson, PHWFF Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA
- James Webb, PHWFF Bay Pines, FL
- John Huffman, PHWFF Shenandoah, VA
- Michael Martino, PHWFF New Smyrna, FL
- Steve Kemper, PHWFF Beckley, WV
These top fly rods from Category 1: Beginners advanced to the finals with an expert panel of judges who determined 1st, 2nd & 3rd place .
Fly Rod Building: A Life Saving Gift
“Fly rod building is very therapeutic for me, it is my release. It allows me to focus on something and allows me to be creative which I think is a key part of recovery and healing“
- The Mossy Creek Invitational Auction is back and bigger than ever!
- Leadership and Dedication: Celebrating Brian Trow
- PA Participants Enjoy a Long Weekend in Bedford County
- CSL Behring gets in the water to support disabled veterans
- Memorial Day: A day of honor and remembrance